Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The year that was - Higalaay Festival 2015


As the year 2015, came down to a close, I am writing a series of posts about the photo contests I joined the past months. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


August 2015. I have a new camera, a second hand mirrorless Sony A6000 I bought from a friend photog from Butuan City. I was hungry. I was on fire. I was in the hunt for photo contests.  Fresh from joining Adlaw Hong Butuan Photo challenge weeks before, my eyes is transfixed on conquering new lands. The nearest was Higalaay Festival Photo Contest in City of Golden Friendship, Cagayan de Oro City. 

There is always a bond between me and this city, though its more like me a vain lover who gets unrequited love for a city that I adore much. But this would need another article to elaborate this kind of relationship. 

Back to Higalaay. I arrived at early morning on the 27th of August in Cagayan de Oro, the eve of the city fiesta. I was feeling light headed after a long trip from Surigao City, obviously from being sleep deprived. I went to my cousin's house somewhere in Kauswagan to freshen up. 

While I was nibbling some breakfast, the television already flashed clips of the parade at Velez Street. OMG. The parade has started! My plan to start at the Rotunda fizzled out. 

I hurried out into the street. Compounding my woes, jeepneys coming from Bonbon and Bayabas areas were fully loaded. I got no choice but to walk towards Kauswagan Highway near Savemore and clambered a ride. I got off near Capistrano Street and then walked a few meters to the parade route at nearby Velez St. 

Finally, I was into action! I was in the middle of it. I was so excited. 

There was stream of High School bands and parade Every contingent that passed was a missed opportunity. Higante's later appeared but it was intermittent and far between. 



Then, the floats appeared. The only challenges were the banderitas (flaglets) above. There is really nothing I can do about it.  I  overheard other competing photographers grumbled about it. 


As the parade was winding up, I decided to change location. I proceeded to C.M. Recto Ave., fronting Centrio Mall. I was thinking, there, wires and flaglets are minimal. I was right. Clearer sky. But the problem, my lens would not match. But that's life. 







By 11:00, the parade was over and CM Recto become deserted immediately. Where those people gone in 5 minutes? I retreated in one of carinderias at the side of Centrio Mall and gulped bottles of ice cold Sparkle Up. 

Day One of my quest ended rather insignificantly. But I reassured myself, there is still tomorrow. 

Next day, I woke up early and took position at Gaston Park. As the fluvial procession took time to arrive near the Cathedral, there were plenty of opportunities for street photography. 






  And selfie too...

It was a long wait for the fluvial procession. But the long wait was worth it. When it came, it came fast and short. As I browse my pictures after, I know my chance was slim. 




In the meantime, fiesta in Cagayan de Oro is not complete without venerating the City's patron saint, Saint Augustine of Hippo. I attended the High Mass at 11:00 am which was by the way celebrated under the Filipino Rite. It was long and full of singing, and presided by Monsignor Florencio Salvador, who is an expert when it comes to the life of Saint Augustine. 





Tired and spent after the Mass, I went back to my cousin's house at Kauswagan, where a sumptuous fiesta meal awaited for me. And some booze too. 

Higalaay Festival was done. It was a contest and I came here to compete. But I have no excuses whatsoever. I bombed out in the competition, the moment I joined. I accepted it. This contest was not for me. It didn't work for me sad to say. Yet, I don't want the opportunity of being a part of Higalaay contest to pass. 

Ultimately, I simply want to be here.  I love the place, I reminisce my past and I like to revisit my personal Catholic conversion in this city. It's all about family, faith, hope and the memories.   

Higalaay. Personally, its simply my friendship with the place. 

1 comment:

  1. Good day Maam/Sir:

    I am Iman Mensenares, a representative from the creative digital agency, CarbonDigital,Inc., which manages the social media accounts of Philippine Spring Water Resources, Inc. with brand name, Nature's Spring.

    We would like to ask for your permission to use one of your photos of Higalaay Festival Celebration in Cagayan de Oro, https://goo.gl/smXkx4.

    We wish to use this for the content of our client's social media accounts for the said event on August 26 and we are really hoping for your positive response regarding this matter.

    For you reference, this is the official Facebook page of Nature's Spring (https://www.facebook.com/naturespring)

    Thank you very much and God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete