Thursday, November 19, 2015

Kaamulan, a photo obsession fulfilled

Talaandig Tribe in Kaamulan 2015
Kaamulan...a festival about the gathering of the 7 hill tribes in Bukidnon, a picturesque and cool province in Northern Mindanao. Even before I got a midlife hook in Photography, this is the one festival I was dreaming to shoot. Reason: Colorful Costumes and its peculiar dance steps. And so when the Province of Bukidnon announced that they will be holding the Kaamulan on October 24, 2015, I made it a point to clear my schedule on that day.

And so last October 23, 2015, I traveled from Surigao City to Cagayan de Oro to catch the festival the following day. There was no photo contest but that doesn't matter to me. All that I was thinking is that I can finally have this long awaited opportunity completed. After spending the night at my cousin's house in Cagayan de Oro, I woke up early to catch a bus for Malaybalay, the capital city of Bukidnon. 

I boarded a Davao City bound bus, the new one complete with a restroom. The fare is at P150.00, which is 60 pesos more than the regular fate of 90 pesos. But its ok. No problem. 

Bumper to bumper traffic at Mangima Canyon in Manolo Fortich town because of ongoing road repairs 
It's normally two and a half hour ride which I just doze off.  I was awakened when the bus stopped at one of the curves around Mangima Canyon due to an ongoing road repair. The bus stopped twice. I arrived at around 8:00 in the morning when the street dancing was about to begin. I took a very hurried breakfast at a Jolibee at Sayre Highway, the venue for the Street Dancing. Even before I could finish it, the first contingent passed by and I grabbed my gears and head on to the street.

I was shaking in excitement on my first few shots. I was jittery. Then as I found my groove, it was happiness all over. 












The Street Dancing lasted for about two hours. The action later shifted to the Kaamulan Grounds at the Provincial Capitol.












After the contest, The Voice Kids Philippines, Reynan Dal-anay of San Fernando, Bukidnon showcased his award winning performances to the delight of the crowd. Reynan Dal-anay declared he is from the Tigwahanon-Manobo group when he was asked about his tribe. He even greeted his people in their own dialect. Governor Jose Zubiri Sr., hugged the pride of Bukidnon after the performance.

Just yesterday, Reynan Dal-anay performed before APEC Leader's Welcome Dinner at the MOA Arena. This kid performed before US President Barack Obama, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev. 


Reynan Dal-anay is a native of San Fernando, Bukidnon

Reynan and Gov. Zubiri about to hug...
In the end, winners were declared. Malitbog got the Float category, Kitaotao took home the grand prize in Street Dancing category, while the Grand Presentation category went to the Municipality of Maramag.  The festival was all over at past 1:00 am, too fast for me.

Malitbog, a perennial winner in this Festival, settled for the Float Category this time

The Municipality of Kitaotao bag the Street Dancing category

The Municiplaity of Maramag, took home the biggest prize of all, the Grand Presentation Category
I retreated into one of the tree covered parks at the Kaamulan Grounds and eventually settled at the wooden benches of the Hall of Justice. There I pondered that the one festival I am obsessed to cover unfolded before my eyes and quickly vanished. I felt empty. I didn't want it to end. I want more.

Winners are declared that day and many are happy and fulfilled. In the meantime, I fulfilled my long time dream, my obsession. 

The biggest winner was me. 

How to get there: 

From Manila, one can take a plane to Laguindingan Airport in Misamis Oriental. Then upon arriving at Cagayan de Oro, take a bus at the Agora Bus Terminal in Cagayan de Oro City. You can ride any of these routes, Davao, Maramag, Damulog, Wao, Kadingilan, Tacurong or Kibawe. All these routes will pass by Malaybalay City. 

Kaamulan 2016 is scheduled on March 2016. I will be updating the date later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment